Ohio Building Code Compliance
It is our mission to protect the customer's life, investment, health and welfare by providing quality service through communication, education and assisting customers in compliance with the Ohio Codes.
The Lima/ Allen County Building Department is responsible for enforcing in accordance with the Ohio Building Code and issuing Commercial Building Permits within the unincorporated townships of Allen County and four contract jurisdictions, including Beaverdam, Elida, Harrod and Lafayette. For the building permit process, the department coordinates the approvals required for the issuance of the building permit and the inspections that are required by the various agencies before the Certificate of Occupancy or a Certificate of Completion can be issued. Residential one-, two- and three-family dwellings within the City of Lima Corporation Limits "only" are enforced in accordance with Residential Code of Ohio and issuance of the appropriate permits.
M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Inspectors are generally in the office between 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Requesting Inspections & Scheduling Meetings
Department staff are available in person, by phone and by email for conferences on code issues. Meetings can easily be arranged with the various agencies involved in the permit process if requested. Email the Building Department with a question or concern.
BUILDING SAFETY MONTH 2022
Building Codes in Action!
In May 2022, The City of Lima will participate in the 42nd annual Building Safety Month, a worldwide campaign presented by the International Code Council, its members and partners to promote building safety. This year’s campaign, “Safety for All: Building Codes in Action,” raises awareness about the importance of building codes in ensuring safety in the spaces in which we live, work and learn.
Homes and buildings that are built in compliance with building safety codes and the officials who enforce the codes are essential to helping communities become affordable, resilient, and energy and water-efficient. Building Safety Month provides homeowners, government officials, and the public with the necessary information and resources to prepare and protect our built environment.
This year’s campaign themes are: Week One, May 1-8, Planning for a Safe & Sustainable Tomorrow; Week Two, May 9-15, Exploring Careers in Building Safety; Week Three, May 16-22, Understanding Disaster Mitigation; May 23-31, Creating a Safe & Abundant Water Supply
With an extensive history dating back to 2200 B.C and the Code of the Hammurabi, king of the Babylonian Empire, building codes have protected the public for thousands of years. The regulation of building construction in the United States dates back to the 1700s. Today, the International Codes, developed by the Code Council are the basis for our Ohio Codes. The International Codes are the most widely used and adopted set of building safety codes in the U.S. and around the world.
Learn more about Building Safety Month at www.buildingsafetymonth.org or join the conversation on social media using #BuildingSafety365.
CONTRACTOR DESIGN, CODE & PERMITTING INFORMATION
- Contractor Registration
- Residential Information
- Commercial Information
- Electronic Plan Review
- Video Inspection Remote (VIR)
To register as a Contractor with the Building Department, the following requirements shall be met:
1. A copy of a valid, un-expired State of Ohio contractors License (HVAC, Electrical, Etc). This requirement does not apply to building contractors.
2. Certificate of Liability Insurance in the amount of $300,000.00 listing the City of Lima as the holder of the certificate.
3. Copy of Workers Compensations Certificate.
4. Registration with the City of Lima Tax Department.
5. Completed Application.
6. Payment of a 50.00 (per trade) non-refundable
For Information, permits, forms and policies regarding ONE, TWO and THREE FAMILY DWELLINGS, view Residential Information
For information, forms, permits and policies regarding COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, FOUR+ FAMILY RESIDENTIAL and INSTITUTIONAL projects, view Commercial Information
All required permit approvals and inspections are tracked on the department's Franklin Information Systems software. Zoning Certificates from the local zoning authority are required before an application for a building permit can be approved. Anyone applying for a building permit may contact the department for help at the beginning of the process. The web based services accessible through Franklin Information Systems include:
- Request an inspection on your permit
- View inspection on your permit
- View lot/address information
- View permit information
- View plan review information
- View address information
- Enter an Application for Garage Sale
Apply for Garage Sale Permit
How the on-line Garage Sale Permit process works:
- Apply for a Garage Sale Permit Opens a New Window. .
- There is an overview of the terms for our customers to read and understand.
- Our customer/s may search for address by entering: the House Number and Street Name or Lot Number or Property Owner Name or Parcel ID.
- Customer/s will need to fill in the required information, select start and end date and submit application.
- Application will be reviewed and upon approval the permit will be emailed to the customer. The customer will also receive an email if the application is not approved.
The application will need to be submitted two business days prior to the sale to allow time for processing.
There is no charge to our customers for the On-line Garage Sales application and permit. Applications will continue to be accepted in the Building and Zoning office and the current permit fee of five dollars will apply.
Fire Protection System Inspections
In collaboration with area Fire Chiefs, the City of Lima has developed guidelines for the inspection of Fire Protection Systems.
Additional Building and Permit Information
- Lima-Allen County Developers Guide Opens in New Window
- Special Inspections Required by Ohio Building Code Opens in New Window
- Lima-Allen County Building Department Contact Information Opens in New Window
- City of Lima Demolition Specifications Opens in New Window
- Garage Sale Permits Opens in New Window
- Ohio Building Code Reference Library Opens in New Window
- Permitting and Inspection Process Information Opens in New Window
- Site Development Plan Review Opens in New Window
- DCD Land Bank Information Opens in New Window